Vase Half Full: The Making Of

A few months ago, I was thrifting with an out-of-town friend when I spotted this

Image

Yes, that vase. Right there. Yup, the big, ugly one.┬áSure it’s the color of warm pee, but there was something about it that spoke to me. One, the size. I love over-sized vases – nothing completes a room like a large flower arrangement, and nothing looks more blah than a skinny little vase (unless, of course, you cluster them. But that’s another post for another day). Two, I love the detail. There is something so whimsical and fun about the swirls and bubbles. It’s like it’s mimicking the water inside.

So I bought it

Image

After a good washing (nope, the pee color did not wash off), I put down a layer of newspaper and got out a great pink colored spray paint.

Image

Here is the spray paint I used.

Image

I did two coats and it turned out perfectly. My next post will have the completed project, so come on back, y’all!

Bird On A Branch: The Making Of

I was shopping at thrift store last December and found an old glass door. It probably belonged to a china cabinet or something similar. It was rather large, 20″ by 50″. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to turn it into wall art, with hooks perfect for hanging anything from coats to jewelry. I got it home, washed it, and laid it on the floor to determine what exactly I was going to do. My toddler then promptly walked on it, shattering the glass that was to be my canvas.

Poor broken thing.

Image

I put it away in the garage and gave myself some time to re-imagine the project. In the end, I decided to continue on with my original idea. Who needs glass, anyways? So, I took a hammer to the rest of the glass, making sure to remove every last shard. Then I removed the latch from the front of the frame. Normally I like to leave vintage features on my projects for character, but in this case, it just wasn’t possible. The cabinet door had the original hinges along one side that I thought would be a great way to attach the whole piece onto a wall.

Image

Unfortunately, the hinges and the latch were on same side, so I could only keep one. I chose the hinges.

Image

Bye-bye, latch.

Image

Then I cut a length of burlap that would fit comfortably in place of the missing glass.

Image

I used my husband’s industrial stapler to attach the burlap to the wooden frame. I folded the fabric over and stapled it down, pulling it snug as I went along.

Image

Image

Image

Once the burlap was stapled onto the frame, I turned it over and painted the silhouette of a bird on a branch. I used black fabric paint. (tip: make sure to put newspaper underneath as you paint. Burlap allows for a lot of leakage.)

Image

Once the paint was dry, I used my husband’s drill to drill holes for seven hooks along the bottom of the wooden frame. (tip: make sure to avoid the staples!)

Image

Once the holes were made, it was simple to screw in a few decorative ceramic hooks from my favorite craft store.

My next blog post will have the completed project, so come on back, ya’ll!