Vase Half Full: The Making Of

A few months ago, I was thrifting with an out-of-town friend when I spotted this

Image

Yes, that vase. Right there. Yup, the big, ugly one.¬†Sure it’s the color of warm pee, but there was something about it that spoke to me. One, the size. I love over-sized vases – nothing completes a room like a large flower arrangement, and nothing looks more blah than a skinny little vase (unless, of course, you cluster them. But that’s another post for another day). Two, I love the detail. There is something so whimsical and fun about the swirls and bubbles. It’s like it’s mimicking the water inside.

So I bought it

Image

After a good washing (nope, the pee color did not wash off), I put down a layer of newspaper and got out a great pink colored spray paint.

Image

Here is the spray paint I used.

Image

I did two coats and it turned out perfectly. My next post will have the completed project, so come on back, y’all!

Bird On A Branch: Completed

In my last post, I showed you how I created a useful piece of wall art. Now, I get to unveil the completed project.

I present, Bird On A Branch

Image

The project was fairly simple, if you would like to recreate your own piece. However, if you fell madly in love with this one, or just don’t fancy breaking out the drill, you can always buy this piece at my Etsy shop.¬†

Happy Hunting!

Bird On A Branch: The Making Of

I was shopping at thrift store last December and found an old glass door. It probably belonged to a china cabinet or something similar. It was rather large, 20″ by 50″. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to turn it into wall art, with hooks perfect for hanging anything from coats to jewelry. I got it home, washed it, and laid it on the floor to determine what exactly I was going to do. My toddler then promptly walked on it, shattering the glass that was to be my canvas.

Poor broken thing.

Image

I put it away in the garage and gave myself some time to re-imagine the project. In the end, I decided to continue on with my original idea. Who needs glass, anyways? So, I took a hammer to the rest of the glass, making sure to remove every last shard. Then I removed the latch from the front of the frame. Normally I like to leave vintage features on my projects for character, but in this case, it just wasn’t possible. The cabinet door had the original hinges along one side that I thought would be a great way to attach the whole piece onto a wall.

Image

Unfortunately, the hinges and the latch were on same side, so I could only keep one. I chose the hinges.

Image

Bye-bye, latch.

Image

Then I cut a length of burlap that would fit comfortably in place of the missing glass.

Image

I used my husband’s industrial stapler to attach the burlap to the wooden frame. I folded the fabric over and stapled it down, pulling it snug as I went along.

Image

Image

Image

Once the burlap was stapled onto the frame, I turned it over and painted the silhouette of a bird on a branch. I used black fabric paint. (tip: make sure to put newspaper underneath as you paint. Burlap allows for a lot of leakage.)

Image

Once the paint was dry, I used my husband’s drill to drill holes for seven hooks along the bottom of the wooden frame. (tip: make sure to avoid the staples!)

Image

Once the holes were made, it was simple to screw in a few decorative ceramic hooks from my favorite craft store.

My next blog post will have the completed project, so come on back, ya’ll!